Sanskrit: Swadhisthana / Svadisthana
Location: Below the naval
Verb: I feel
Located below the navel in the lower abdomen, lower back, and sexual organ comes the second chakra commonly known as the SACRAL CHAKRA (or the Spleen / Sexual Chakra). In women, this area is around the ovaries, whereas in men it's around the testes.
This chakra brings fluidity and grace, depth of feeling, sexual fulfillment, and the ability to accept change. Physiologically speaking, it governs sex and the flow of body fluids and energy. When balanced, adaptability and flexibility comes easily; but when unbalanced, it causes one to fear death.
In a Nutshell:
- Used for creativity, vitality, and sexual expression
- Creates balance in connecting with other people and spending time spent alone
- Connected to procreation and bringing forth of new life
- Relates with water; therefore, it's associated with emotional identity and oriented to self-gratification.
- It is considered separate from the Womb Chakra.
- Sense: Taste
- Symbol: Circle
- Associated Gland: Gonads = ovaries or testes
- Musical Keynote: D above middle C (vocalized as the "o" in "home")
- Sound: Ocean
- Sound Frequency: 288 Hz
- Associated Organs/Systems: Reproductive organs, kidneys, bladder
- Qualities and/or Functions: Primal feelings, awe, enthusiasm, openness to others, personal creativity
- In A Word: Fertility
Healing & Awakening Meditations by Meditative Mind:
Tools for Working with the SACRAL CHAKRA:
To activate this chakra, wear orange clothing and eat or drink orange foods/beverages, along with working with these tools:
- Gemstones: Carnelian, Coral, Orange Calcite, Moonstone, Blood Citrine, and Orange Jasper
- Herbs: Damiana, Gardenia, Sandalwood, Ylang-ylang
- Essential Oils: Benzoin, Cardamon, Clary Sage, Elemi, Fennel, Sandalwood
- Yoga Poses: Squat/Garland, Bound Angle Pose, Camel Pose
- Health Tips: "Monitor breadstuffs, substituting gluten-free products, yams, sweet potatoes, oranges, and other sweet but low-glyemic foods for addictive substances. Consider soothing exercises including Tai Chi, Qi Gong, yoga, or swimming." (Dale, 2009, 55)
- (Book) The Complete Book of Chakra Healing by Cindi Dale (2009)